Pages

2010/07/04

Delhi

So, there’s a lot to write and not so much time.  We’ve had two jam-packed days since we arrived in Delhi.  We got off with a bang on Friday night, July 2, 2010 when the United States-India Educational Foundation threw us a Dinner Reception at the Fulbright House.  Dignitaries, Indian educators and fellow Fulbright-Hays scholars were invited to attend.  The Cultural Attaché of the United States to India introduced us, and each of us had to say hello.  Although I felt a little intimidated at first, I must say that I truly felt an energy of sincere welcome.

So much has already happened, but I’ll try to do “My top 3 to 5 favorites” based on how busy we are on any given day(s). 


                                                        Top 3 – 5 Highlights
The Centre for Cultural Resources and Training (CCRT) has done an exceptional job of providing us with incredible speakers every day that we’ve been here.  They have all been so outstanding, but I especially enjoyed a lecture given by Professor Choudhury on the Ancient Indian System of Education.   His presentation reminded me why I became a teacher to begin with.  With the current trend in Florida of testing and test results, we sometimes forget that one of our central responsibilities as educators is to empower students to become the best that they can be, academically, emotionally and psychologically. We need to cultivate in them the ability to construct meaning and knowledge, for themselves, not just focus on rote memorization or basic skills attainment.



Next, walking (running) through Old Delhi.  I felt as if we were in a madcap caper, with Benny Hill music in the background.  My colleague, Elizabeth Chapman caught it all on video.  Click on the link below to see.  It will appear on her posting for July 4.  Just look for a little video screen.  That will show you what I'm talking about. Imagine thousands of people on narrow, cobblestone streets.  Some are walking, some are on bicycles, some are on scooters, some are pushing carts loaded with merchandise and other are simply shopping.  It’s nuts!  Now imagine 17 people, 15 of us and our 2 guides making our way through that in single file!!! Crazy, exhilarating, hilarious, scary fun!


http://mschapmanstriptoindia.blogspot.com/2010/07/old-delhi-in-which-ms-chapman-faces.html



Another awesome part of these days has been our visits to Humayun’s Tomb and Qutab Minar.  Humayun’s tomb is a precursor to the Taj Mahal.  It is a mausoleum that was built in 1565 AD in honor of Emperor Humayun by his widow, Bega Begam.  The other incredible sight we saw was Qutab Minar, built in 1193.  I won’t go into the history of either one, but I’ve included pictures on the Flicker Photostream so that you can see how stunning and ancient these monuments are. Click below for information about these two incredible sights.

Qutab Minar: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qutb_Minar
Well, it’s getting late and tomorrow, we visit our first schools.  

6 comments:

  1. My dearest Bianca,
    I am so exhilarated to vicariously enjoy this journey with you via your blog. I look forward to reading about all of your experiences, insights, and adventures along the way. I loved the video posted by your fellow colleague!!! Wow that is amazing how small and cramped with so many people and things the streets of old Delhi are. I look forward to your next post and the next time I talk to you. Ani

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bianca,
    I enjoyed the video and your blog. Please keep posting so that we can see and read all about your adventure. Your colleague's video was amazing; I am so excited for you. Besos Lapa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bianca ,
    My mom and I are glad to see that you are enjoying your experience there. We constantly check for the latest posts , so we can keep up with your adventures ;) we miss you dearly and my mom was hoping to see your face in your colleagues video :( . can't wait to see you and hear about your experience . My mom wanted to remind you to enjoy every second you have there .



    as you can see i have a blog of my own ;D
    hopefully i have a reason to write about india sonn :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bianca,
    As promised, I am right behind you guys!
    What an adventure!
    I cannot wait to hear about Shimla.
    Regards,
    Chris Gibson

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey sis, glad the adventure is off to a safe start. Video is exciting and can only imagine what a wonderful time and experience. I love you and miss you!!! Come home safe, but enjoy your adventure first. Keep posting...

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey!! this is all too sophisticated for me...not sure where to comment, cant i just text you???? HEHE!

    It all looks amazing and from what i was able to see and hear...ther were onkeys during your first outing....que locura. All is calm over here,anxiously waiting for an update on your adventure.....breathe!

    ReplyDelete