Pages

2010/06/17

Eastern Soul

MUSIC......Ahhhh, one of the universal languages!

Today, while on Facebook, I connected with an Indian friend.  Since I love music, I had the idea to find out what young Indians were listening to by clicking on her friends' Facebook pages and their friends' Facebook pages and checking out what they posted for "Favorite Music".   I checked out a whole bunch of links.  Even one showing Filipino inmates doing, Jai Ho, from Slumdog Millionaire.  Something I think only Filipinos can pull off!  Many of the people I checked out listed American and English artists, but I also found numerous Indian artists I'd never been exposed to.  I found comfort in the familiarity of a band called Swarathma, especially when they played songs with a reggae sounding beat.  Then, I came across a blog called Eastern Soul.  The photography captured me from the get go, but the creator's vision/mission statement hooked me.  Although the music is not strictly Indian, there are many Indian artists.  What I did was download the podcast for June.  Each month has a theme.  June's is "resistance", then the creator of the blog put a few songs together that he felt carried that theme.  If you're into music check out the link.  I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.


Eastern Soul


Namaste

1 comment:

  1. Hi Bianca,
    I just love all the songs from Slum Dog Millionaire!
    I don't know any music from the Philippines, but I do enjoy some pop from Japan.
    Namaste!

    ReplyDelete