Pages

2010/06/12

Finally, My VISA!!!

So, I haven't posted any new updates because my Indian Visa was placed "on hold".  I felt compelled to put my happy, Indian thoughts on hold too, just in case this whole thing wasn't happening.   At first, I thought it might have something to do with the "mugshot" I had sent them to accompany my VISA!  Apparently, it seems that the Indian Government had to outsource the Visa application process because they were inundated with work.  Imagine, India has the second largest population in the world, with 1,156,897,766 people.  

So here is a somewhat lengthy anecdotal of what went down on June 7, 2010, when I called the outsourcing office in Houston:

 I called the Houston office over 40 times, only to get a busy signal, was placed on hold, disconnected, transferred, disconnected...well, I think you get the picture.  During those 2 hours, yes 120 minutes, from 3:30 to 5:30, calling from my CELL phone because I obviously can't call from the school phone, I contemplated how I would finally act when I spoke to a person.  Yes, believe it or not, I was still hopeful that I would end up speaking with someone helpful.  Anyway, when someone, Jessica, actually spoke to me, I prefaced the entire conversation, by explaining that I had been (all the states mentioned above for 90 minutes). She explained that there had been changes in the Visa requirements and that people were calling incessantly and that she was doing the best she could.  That's when some crazy words came out of my mouth.  I say "crazy" because it didn't make sense to remain that calm.  I must really want to go to India!  I said, "Yes, Jessica, I understand that we're both victims of this situation, but I really need you not to accidentally hang up on me and please help me." 



O.K. so here's the bottom line.  I explained that I was one of 16 educators from all over the U.S. chosen to go to India.  I explained that all the educators applying for visas through the New York and Washington, D.C. area had already received their visas, and that I needed to speak with a supervisor about what was holding ours up.  I told her that I was one of three educators from Florida and there was another one from Texas who were waiting for their visas to be approved.  She placed me on hold and told me that yes there had been some changes and I needed to apply for a business visa.  I explained that I had already done that and gave her my business visa application #. She then asked me a few more questions, like where was my letter of invitation from the U.S. side (Fulbright-Hays), which she eventually found.  Thirty minutes later, she said she was going to get all my paperwork together and send it on down to the embassy.  She said she wasn't sure if they'd approve it, but she was charging my credit card ($215.00) and sending it on through.  I am supposed to know by 5:30 p.m., Tuesday.  I got home a little bit ago and sure enough a charge of $215.00 has been made.  So we'll see, but I'm an optimist, and I believe that if they've charged me and pushed it through, the Indian consulate will most likely approve it.  I'll let you know for sure around this time tomorrow.

2 comments: