Pages

2010/05/27

2009 Fulbright-Hays Participants

After receiving the list of last year's Fulbright-Hays participants, I reached out to all of them with my "silly questions".  So far, three of them have been kind enough to respond.

1)  How often do you get to wash your clothes?


    Response 1 - I washed some clothes at every hotel. Some hotels were very reasonable to send your clothing to be laundered. Others were very expensive. I sent mine out whenever I felt it was cheap enough or I was too tired to be bothered with it. Most of the time, many of us would wash our clothes in the shower and then lay them out on chairs, shower rods, hangers, etc., to dry. We were in hotels long enough that drying wasn't a real problem if we washed them the first day we were there.

   Response 2I did mine frequently in the room and hung them out to drySome people sent theirs out.

   Response 3 - You can get your clothing laundered at the hotels.  The fee depends on the hotel.  I washed undergarments in the hotel bathroom. I am not sure what your itinerary is, but we stayed in very nice hotels so I had no problem getting clothing washed.  Just plan you budget accordingly.

2)  Are short-sleeve t-shirts o.k. for women?  Loose-fitting jeans?

   Response 1 - Short sleeve t-shirts were fine. Most of us wore capri length pants. I would have found jeans to be extremely hot. Skirts were also nice and cool. Also, many of us purchased clothing there so that we would blend in with the crowds a bit better. Tunics were cool and reasonably priced. 

Response 2 - all ok I liked a loose dress

 Response 3 - Lightweight pants are best, no jeans, you will roast. Short sleeve t-shirts are fine as long as they look good. Heavy cotton is not advisable. I also had two part of travel pants from Chicos that were comfortable and did not wrinkle. Skirts are great too.

3)  Should I bring clothes for "dressy" events?  If so, how many of these events should I anticipate?

    Response 1 - There are two "dressy" events to be prepared for. One is at the beginning in Delhi. The other is the banquet at the end. Many of the participants wore sari's for the final dinner, though I wore skirts and t-shirts for both. 

   Response 2 - yes several dress up events, professional skirt and top or dress

   Response 3 - I brought several skirts for dressy occasions but I also bought a sari for our final dinner.  I was not going to get one but I am glad that I did.  I have attached a picture here of the four of us who did get saris.  We asked some of the lovely female staff at the Taj in Delhi to help us get dressed in the saris which was a lot of fun! (from left to right in the picture: Connie Greenleaf, Carrie Block, me, and Katie Clarey)  I bought clothing and I also had some made. Try the Fab India store in New Delhi for pre-made Indian style clothing. I also attached a picture of myself and Connie at a Islamic girls' school in New Delhi with our Fab India clothes on.  We had to cover up there a lot more than at other places.

4)  What about shoes?  What did you all use when walking around?

     Response 1I brought tennis shoes, sandals and a pair of trek shoes that I bought through Lands End. For the most part I wore sandals and treks. Whatever you take, make sure they are comfortable. I left all of my shows in India because I had worn them out by the time the trip was over. 

    Response 2 comfortable walking shoeperhaps a sandal and jogging/ hiking

    Response 3 -  I had sandals, good walking ones, as well as flip flops and tevas.  Our hotels all had health clubs so if you may want to bring sneakers for working out. I brought goggles for the hotel pools and swam for exercise.

5)  Are you given the opportunity to go and see nearby places that might be known for their natural beauty (in  
     other words, like hikes, etc.)?







 Response 1- Absolutely. We were given every Sunday, with the exception of one, off. We could use that day to explore. We were also given several afternoons and most evenings. The organizers and chaperons really want you to explore the areas and will be able to give you ideas of what to see and do. I also took along a travel guide to give me a little more information about where we were going. I found that very useful. 

Response 2some open time, not a lot. They fill your days, much to see....it is FANTASTIC!!!!

Response 3 - ur study tour was mostly in urban areas so exploring the natural beauty was not really part of my experience. We did a lot of walking through historic areas/sites.  Again, I am not sure what your schedule is.

I loved the study tour and I am still very close to several of the women that I met last summer.  India is an intense experience but it is 
well worth the uncomfortable moments and struggles with culture shock.

I am so grateful for these insights.  This is a big unknown, and as many teachers will tell you, it's hard not having "control".

A couple of people that responded also sent addresses for the "blogs" they kept while there.  I am adding a link, so that in the future if any other potential Fulbright-Hays participant wants information on India, they can get some insight here.






2 comments:

  1. I'm getting excited for you. Seems like your wardrobe has gotten a lot of good advice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A family hostel can help add free entertainment to your trip.

    Buzios Pousadas

    ReplyDelete