Pages

2010/07/28

Gangaji, Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh, India


Now, I can go home!  Just kidding, I still have 10 days left, but I’ve seen the Mighty Ganges River, Gangaji.  What an honor!  I’m in Varanasi, the holiest city in India for the Hindus, Buddhists and Jainism.  Hindus believe that if you come here and die, you can break free of the cycle of birth, death and rebirth.  The USIEF staff hired a boat for us to go on the river.  


We went to the ghat on which Hindus are cremated.  So, I guess I should explain.  There are several “ghats” (stairs) along the Ganges in Varanasi (Benares).  Each one has a different function.  For example, the Manikramika Ghat is one of the primary cremation ghats.  We had the opportunity to go there this evening.  Our guide, an extremely knowledgeable professor, explained the entire process to us.  Apparently, when a person dies, male or female, the family brings the body down to the ghat.  Once there, the body is wrapped in a red, orange or white gown, depending on their marital status.  Widows and holy men, like priests get orange.  Then the family buys wood for the funeral pyre.  The son then goes and shaves his hair and his beard off.  He comes back, they bathe the body in the Ganges, and then place them on the funeral pyre.  I always thought that the pyre was on the actual Ganges, but the ones we saw tonight were not.  Although we couldn't take pictures when we got close up, I did take some pictures as we were approaching.


It looks totally ominous as you are approaching because it's dark from the fires and ashes, and not as colorful as the other ghats.  However once there, I wasn't afraid of seeing something scary.  The guide was explaining that Indians had a strong sense of the continuity of the soul, and that feeling was palpable. I simply tried to partake in this solemn occasion with the families.  Oh, by the way, no ladies were there.  According to our guide, they could come if they wanted to.  For example, if there's not a son, the daughter goes,  but we didn't see any there.  

After that, our boat returned to the ghat where we got on to strategically position itself for a great view of the Aarti.  According to Wikipedia:The purpose of performing Aarti is the waving of lighted wicks before the deities in a spirit of humility and gratitude, wherein faithful followers become immersed in God's divine form. It symbolises the five elements: 1) space (akash), 2) wind (vayu), 3) light (tej), 4) water (jal), and 5) earth (pruthvi). 



With that said, I send all of my family and friends all my love!

1 comment:

  1. The pictures alone are breathtaking. What an experience....The Mighty Ganges River... I made a comment on your post from a few days ago and have enjoyed reading about your experiences at the schools. I am loving all of the pictures, especially the ones with the children. Thanks for sharing and keep enjoying every minute.
    Ceci

    ReplyDelete